Welcome to my ramblings...


Come with me as I travel through the real places of my life and into the steep, switch-back roads of the imagination. Join me. You'll be good company and your thoughts are welcome.

Sunday, March 17, 2013

Welcome St. Patrick!!


 
Bring us green! Finally, Narcissus.
For me, the austerity of Lent goes with winter, but dear St. Patrick, why give up anything more than flowers? 

A Point of View in Winter

March is a long month here. Down east, spring has already budded, but here, folks are still cooking hearty meals and careful about when to get outside. There is some gradual greening, but against a yellow-brown backdrop of hibernating hills and a leafless tree-line. Perennials are dormant, most underground and invisible. We are told not to plant because "there'll be another frost," maybe even a hard freeze. "Just hold off," they say, "till about Mother's Day." 

Hoarfrost on a distant mountain-top

I've learned that the last snow days are not as romantic and festive as the first few, but I've also learned that if I will just get outdoors, or sit by a window and look out, there is color and texture everywhere. I get inspired to pull out fabrics and create something. Each year, I try to make at least one treasure I can keep; it's become a tradition.


Wall-hanging for Christmas


This tradition began when my friend Sherry brought her sewing machine for a longer-than-usual winter visit. The visit was to be longer because she was fighting Hairy-cell Leukemia with chemotherapy and trying to stay away from crowds of people while her white cell count was down.
 
 
She brought the sewing machine because she was busy making heirloom treasures for her daughter, Nicole whose wedding was to be held in August, under our cherry tree. We spent a lot of time outdoors that winter walking and studying the colors and textures of the landscape. Sherry was upbeat, postive and cheerful. She was also busy creating beautiful things.
 



Sherry working on an appliqued quilt.


Frozen Pond


Puple and Ochre Near Tracks in the Snow

My Wall-hanging for Valentine's Day

Sherry's Wedding Shawl for Nicole with the Cherry Tree in the Background


Gift-bags made out of a pair of old jeans.

Lately I've enjoyed scheduling Sew-Days with another group of friends. We call ourselves (mostly all Scotch-Irish descendants) the Creekies, because we all live on or near Helton Creek in Ashe County. It's the old sewing bee renewed. 

Creekies, with a healthy Sherry visiting 8 years later

 
Snow Melt


We think of something to work on, gather fabrics and trims, spread it all out and start combining things. Even friends who have never sewn a stitch like to match colors, cut patterns, and iron the seams flat. Three of us who sew put our machines on various sides of the long dining room table and piece things together. Someone puts out food and serves beverages, and we have fellowship of a priceless kind. Then we take home small treasures to give away. Last year, we made gift bags and this year pillow-cases.


Gift Bags for Special Occasions



Small Pillowcase for a Grandchild

Yesterday, as I was looking for inspiration in the library, two new titles caught my eye. The first was about how friends and family impact your life, and I felt happy that I have learned that lesson. The other I checked out and brought home, Peaceful Pieces, Poems and Quilts about Peace. I recommend it for the beautiful words and pictures, especially if you read to children. (Click on the title to see the book.)

St. Patrick is known for his way of teaching Christianity to the pagan tribes of Ireland by successfully incorporating nature and familiar traditions. So, here is my tribute to St. Patrick as I wait for the greening of Spring and the blooming of Easter. I keep hearing, "It'll be here before you know it!"



Table-runner for Easter


 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment