Welcome to my ramblings...


Come with me as I travel through the real places of my life and into the steep, switch-back roads of the imagination. Join me. You'll be good company and your thoughts are welcome.

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Through the Night



Months after her litter of six has been chosen

and taken away one by one, Cappuccino,

your lonely cat removes folded socks

from clean laundry stacks, gently

with her teeth, and hastens them

to shelters of her choosing.



Her mewling wakes me

as she tucks them into corners

and scolds them behind chairs.



And I think of you, folded into bed

on the eighth floor of a dormitory,

afraid...I want to wail.



In the morning, I find her sock-children

and sort them into drawers. She,

from her sun spot near the glass door,

turns from watching and lifts her chin

to singe my heart with a wistful gaze.





© Diana Renfro, January 2002, revised February 2012




No comments:

Post a Comment