Welcome to my ramblings...


Come with me as I travel through the real places of my life and into the steep, switch-back roads of the imagination. Join me. You'll be good company and your thoughts are welcome.

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Where I am From

I am from biscuits, cornbread and turnip greens,
from Velpeau and Vera
whose Harris' Grocery had a sign:
"Come in. It's Kool inside."
I'm from standing on the bench-seat
beside Grandaddy making home deliveries
in a shiny black pick-up.
I'm from bride dolls in crisp white dresses
and pedaling my bike to Ma Ma's house
sneaking into Verna's room to hunt
till I touch the forbidden Effanbee.
I'm from swinging on the wide front porch
watching cars leaving- kadunk, kadunk-
on the concrete bridge over the railroad tracks.

I'm from yard sales on the courthouse lawn
Saturdays with friends to buy
skirt and sweater sets and saddle-oxfords
for Friday night sock hops at the Rec Center.
I'm from selling hot buttered popcorn at
Elmore's Five and Ten
listening to Elvis' Blue, Blue Christmas
while ringing up all the town folks
at the antique cash register.
I'm from pas de bourrée  and balancé,
breast-stroking for ribbons, singing
Push 'em back, Push 'em back, Way back
and War Eagle, Fly down the field!

I'm from the Lord blessing and keeping
chain smokers and a closet drinker
dry as limestone for Sunday dinner at his Mama’s.
I’m from a church wedding in a hand-made gown
tinged with blood and tears of my mother.
I'm from train whistles in the night
suggesting the romance
of moving on and starting out
with a young love that lives on…..

My favorite books were discarded
Sears and Roebuck catalogues
worn and studied. I cut
paper dolls and made stories:
antagonist, protagonist, friend and foe
dramas dreamed in a snug bed
to the score of trains moving fast
waiting for my time to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment