Welcome to my ramblings...


Come with me as I travel through the real places of my life and into the steep, switch-back roads of the imagination. Join me. You'll be good company and your thoughts are welcome.

Monday, January 14, 2013

Bakers

Genealogy is time-consuming and for me, addictive. I have spent months researching the Harris/Barnes and the Renfro/Baker sides of our family so I can show our daughters that their origins are: Scotch-Irish, English and French with a speck of German.

On one side there is an early dead-end. It is Baker, Traylor's maternal great-grandfather whose line ends abruptly, Richard Alva Baker to be specific. We have a photo of his gravestone but nothing of his parents.
 
Richard Alva Baker
 
I realize that some of the truths I have uncovered are less factual than I would like and that there are gaps and questions everywhere in these lines, but I can still believe in the best and most convincing evidence like any myth or religion. I want to create a hand-me-down story. 

So, how did the Bakers get away--die that is--with no recorded histories?

There are marriage records and birth certificates, even death certificates. I remember that my mother had to have a death certificate to prove that my father was dead. So why can't we find anything?

Some folks work hard and never sit down long enough to record anything, I know. It is likely that my husband inherited such a gene. Others lose everything to war, fire or flood. Perhaps a name was misspelled somewhere in a way that is not recognizable. 

Just think how hard it will be hundreds of years in the future with so many folks asking to be cremated and their ashes scattered. There won't be gravestones to look for, not even weathered and fading ones with questionable spelling and dates.

I've explored all the options I am aware of for Baker, and frustrated, I'm ready to let the chapter go like this: The Bakers came from England where they baked bread for a household like the one at Downton Abbey or perhaps they owned a communal oven for a group of neighbors: they were literally bakers. That much is likely true, so it can be part of our story, but if you know anything about the Bakers who settled in Southern Alabama, let us know because this end will always taste like raw dough until I can proof it and get it in the oven.


Richard Alva Baker Family Tree (tee hee)
 
If you haven't already, try www.ancestry.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment